Thursday, March 22, 2012

Living the Reality

Yesterday was one of those days.

My energy was gone. My thoughts were scattered. Finishing a task seemed nearly impossible. I knew that I needed to write but I. just. couldn't. do. it.

What's the deal?

The evening before, we celebrated the first day of spring, my favorite day of the year. There are no presents to buy, no parades, no store sales, or special music played. This day goes unnoticed by most people but, it's become my favorite to celebrate. It's the reality that winter is over. Whatever the weather does the next day doesn't shake me a bit. I know the reality. Spring is here.

And, yesterday, I needed a serious reality check. I can get incredibly lost, so trapped, and self-absorbed by what is going on in my brain that I forget that:

. . . God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7)


. . . We do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every resect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. (Hebrews 4:15)


. . . Everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce God's righteousness (James 1:19-20)


. . . His divine power has given us everything needed for life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. (2 Peter 1:3)


. . . You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 5: 11)


. . . Discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11)

This is my reality and yours if you are trusting in Christ Jesus. But these things keep slipping my mind.

Why is that?

I forget that I am being hunted.

Like a roaring lion, your adversary, the devil prowls around looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8b)

How do we keep from being eaten? The verses preceding this one gives us an awesome picture:

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that He may exalt you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Discipline yourselves, keep alert ( 1 Peter 5: 6-8a). . .  because we are being hunted.

I am realizing that when my energy is down and my heart feels loopy, my main goal becomes, "How can I get more sleep?". . . I walk around like a zombie. . . . so. . . tired. . . and frustrated. Instead of turning to God, taking my frustrations to Him and disciplining myself, staying alert to what's really going on in the war that is my heart, I get stuck in how I feel. Everything around me suffers and I end up wondering what in the world happened. And, satan gets a bite for lunch.

This morning, I am more aware of the battle that surrounds me. Part of the victory is keeping you unaware of the war. If the enemy can make you believe that it's just you, or God's fault, then he gets to walk dance around causing all kinds of heartache and we blindly ask why things aren't working.

Today, if you will, join me this morning in bringing purpose for this day. Finish the every day tasks with flourish. Love the faces that are right in front of you. As a reflection of your Maker, bring peace, order, hope, and harmony to this dying and troubled world. They need your heart and your light.

  . . . don't let satan *blow* it out, I'm going to let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.







No comments:

Post a Comment