Friday, March 16, 2012

The Grocery Run 3-15-12


What?!?!? We are out of food again???

To be sure. The cupboards are bare, the refrigerator is bored, and the freezer is thinking about switching careers.To save our precious home, we rally our hearts and minds and travel to MeijerWhole FoodsALDI, and Trader Joe's. The journey is long, full of victories and heartaches, but the rewards are beyond measure.

We've narrowed down the grocery trip to once every two weeks, which saves on gas and energy (mine, specifically). 

So, how much food does it take to feed this family of five for two weeks?

Behold! The hallway:


Crazy. But, this is only part of the glories that we bring with us. . .

Presenting. . .

The Grocery Run
The bi-weekly adventure of three women (well, one grown up, and two little girls), seeking out the most delectable foods on the planet, while un-earthing magnificent music and ideas along the way.

1. Good Morning! -  This was how our day began:



And, this song made me dance! Y'all want that bounce?



2. Bumper Stickers -  I love reading the bumper stickers on other peoples cars. If there are a lots of stickers like this one attached to a vehicle. . .


I harbor a secret desire to meet the owner in the hopes of striking up good conversation:

Hey, you want to go save the world with me? 

Sure! Can I put my vegan, non-gmo, organic food away first?

Yes. Oh, but can we stop by Chic-Fil-A on the way?

Absolutely!! I'd been craving that all week! 

3. Consumer vs. Creator - I think it hit me coming out of the second super market that Americans are crazy consumers. The day before this, I had been in the mall and was astonished by the horrible pressure that I felt to buy more than than I could afford. As I passed by the shops, I kept thinking, "I can't keep up! There is no way that I am going to keep up with all of this stuff." Back in the food aisles, those same thoughts hit me again. And, I thought about how I consume much more than I ever create. 

We are made in the image of the Creator, meaning we should be reflecting His nature as well. I admit that I don't portray that image very often. I am perfectly content to sit back and let everyone else do the creating while I make whatever money I can to support my convenient consumer habits. 

I ran into this verse last only last night:

". . . Aspire to live quietly, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we directed you, so that you may behave properly toward outsiders and be dependent on no one."
~1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

I want to move closer to that kind of life.

4. Unhappy People - I am amazed at how grumpy people are when they go grocery shopping. Like, no smiles. Anywhere. I look around me and think, "Are you seeing what I'm seeing? This place has duck eggs!!! Look! It's a lady bug on the lettuce! What else do you want???"

I guess it's another exposure to the fact that stuff does not make us happy.

*Sigh*

5. It Takes All Kinds - The girls and I are very relaxed when we're together. We play and work and know how to stay out of each other's space (most of the time). But, when it comes to music, we are very different. 

This is Julia:


This is Katie:


This is Me:



This is an amazing fact about life. It takes all our tastes to reflect the unfathomable glory of God. It can't be put in a box. It's not possible. But, if we remove the boxes that we've placed on God and the people in our lives we might begin to see a glimmer of the reality of Who they really are.

Have a great day!

Judy



2 comments:

  1. Love these music videos! It is amazing how music says so much about us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am getting to know people, one of the first questions that I ask is what kind of music they like. It's opens the door wide for more real conversations.

    ReplyDelete